Thursday, September 9, 2010

New IEEE publication on affective computing

No it's not a typo, it's affective with an "a". The IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing start with a very nice introductory paper by Rosalind W. Picard:
I did not want to work on or be associated with emotion, yet emotion was starting to look vital for solving the hard engineering problems we needed to solve. A scientist has to find what is true, not just do what is popular. I was becoming quietly convinced that engineering dreams to build intelligent machines would never succeed without incorporating insights about emotion. I knew somebody had to educate people about the evidence I was collecting and act on it. But I did not want to risk my reputation and I was too busy. I started looking around, trying to find somebody, ideally male and established, whom I could convince to develop this topic, which clearly needed more attention than I had time for.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, I found one great FREE book about AFFECTIVE Computing. This book provides an overview of state of the art research in Affective Computing. It presents new ideas, original results and practical experiences in this increasingly important research field. The book consists of 23 chapters categorized into four sections. You can find it here: http://www.intechopen.com/books/show/title/affective_computing It is free to download. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.