Friday, February 19, 2010

CMOS PAs

Interesting point/counterpoint on CMOS for RF power amplifiers at EETimes:
  • CMOS is the wrong technology for 3G handset PAs: "To the 3G handset user, the objectives are straightforward: I want speed and reliability. I want fast data rates and a robust connection. I want my device to work wherever I go, no matter how far from the cell tower or which part of the device I am holding. And I want great talk time. All of these 3G needs are enabled by gallium arsenide (GaAs) power amplifiers."
  • CMOS is the right technology for 3G handset PAs: "History has shown that once CMOS can meet the difficult analog performance requirements presented by an application, it always wins."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.